Research Projects

Various personal R&D projects are listed here, some active, some not.. Obviously this site wasn't up in 1994


2014 - Present

A VR/AR peripheral device system.. not much more to say at present.

This is currently in development and has been for almost 2 years.. it’s moving along quite slowly but it’s moving along.

I’m quite excited about this, it has a lot of potential, can’t really say much about it just yet but announcements will come here when they do.

The Tea Stick

2015 - Present

The Tea Stick is a tiny stick that helps you make your tea (or coffee) better.. how does it work?

Well.. you stick it in your tea..

Unless it is put on hold due to more important work the Kickstarter project should be up early next year.

Elite Haptic Cockpit Interface

2015 - 2015

So I’ve been using the Oculus Rift all through the development period, I’ve spent a rather large amount of time playing .. erm researching in Elite Dangerous. As a long time lover of VR I was eager to fulfill some earlier wishes I had concerning creating believable immersive experiences and with VR the big problem left to overcome is haptics.

During the 90’s when I was doing a lot of study and research into VR and it’s applications I came across this problem time and again. No matter what lengths we go to to drive the sensory input for our sight and hearing we will always have a problem with haptics and with our vestibular system, with the two working on conjunction to provide us with a tonne of spatial sensory information.

Friends of mine may recall some long winded conversations on the topic, especially regarding the games system I designed..

Anyway this brought me to Elite, if anyone has seen the Elite cockpit you will know that it has the same cockpit layout for all ships (and for the SRV buggy). The flight controls are meant to relfect the HOTAs you find about the place for flight sims and there are a number of extra buttons and panels in the centre.

As a short project I have measured out the perceived width of the cockpit layout and constructed a physical layout of the controls that match the dimensions. The centre panels are cut from plywood with a re-purposed keyboard microcontroller running to a set of 3d printed button that match the in game button layout.

I am creating a video of the the finished system and will post it here shortly.






 1984 is a Pearson based temporal denoiser that uses a few statistical analysis techniques to reduce noise in rendered output from pathtracers.

Basically it looks for deviants in the population and forces them to conform to the beautiful order of the all seeing eye..

It is currently implemented as a c++ library with a Nuke plugin interface and was originally designed to work with the Arnold Renderer but is built to be renderer agnostic as long as a tracer has the ability to write out certain variables it will work with it just fine.



2008 - 2009


This is a small set of tools and attachments for gathering probe data on set, built to be highly flexible for a variety of acquisition methods as well as being lightweight and collapsible for wilderness work.

The parts were created through mixture of hand machined, CNC and 3D printing methods.. along with some butchering of existing cheap household products 🙂

They are used for general probe gathering for the studio and for some specialist projects such as the ‘macro probe’ work I did a few years ago where light probes were captured for macro shoots.